Public Health Team
The Public Health Team was formed in 2006 to continue the work initiated by the previous IRAC Vector Team and has the extended remit covering hygiene pests as well as vectors. Most of the efforts have focused on forming links with key groups working in the vector control area (WHO, Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation BMGF and Innovative Vector Control Consortium IVCC). A key IRAC publication “Prevention and Management of Insecticide Resistance in Vectors and Pests of Public Health Importance” was first published with inputs from these groups in 2007 and an updated second edition was published in 2010. A mini-version of this comprehensive booklet was published in 2011.
- Identify potential, new or existing resistance issues. Set up Team Working Groups or Focal Points as necessary
- Provide expert input into IRM initiatives with identified partners, interact with groups working in the same field and participate/organise relevant meetings.
- Formulate the IRAC position on ongoing questions and issues as these arise
- Preparation of Public Health communication material
WHO Test Methods and associated information
- WHO test procedures for insecticide resistance monitoring in malaria vectors
- Discriminating concentrations of insecticides for adult mosquitoes
- Supplies for monitoring insecticide resistance and procurement of WHO test kits
CDC Vector resistance Assays:
- Bottle Bioassay
- Larval Bioassay
- Bottle/Beaker Calibration
- Microplate Assay
- Establishing the Diagnostic Dosage
CropLife Intl. – Information on Public Health and Vector Control
Latest Public Health Team News
IRAC held their 49th International Spring Meeting at the Hamner Conference Center, Research Triangle Park, NC hosted by BASF and Bayer CropScience on 17-20 March 2014. There were 9 sessions held over the 4 days including various working group planning meetings, a meeting of the IRAC Executive, and an “International Day” with four invited guest speakers. Presentations from the ‘International Day’ can be found on the IRAC website Resources Page by filtering for Spring Meeting 2014. In addition to the normal topics it was also a celebration of the 30th anniversary since the formation of IRAC in 1984.
IRAC held their 48th International Spring Meeting at Syngenta’s Research Centre in the UK on 18-22 March 2013. There were 12 session held over the 5 days including various working group planning meetings, a meeting of the IRAC Executive, and an “International Day’ with a session of guest speakers covering different aspects of resistance and resistance management. Presentations from the ‘International Day’ can be found on the IRAC website Resources Page and by filtering for Spring Meeting 2013